Bella Vista Motel Mosgiel
Patsy welcomes you to Bella Vista Motel Mosgiel.
This motel has been independently assessed by Qualmark as 4 star quality accommodation with a silver endorsement for sustainability practices. In 2017 the business was awarded a Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence.
Mosgiel is the perfect base for your adventures. From the moment you arrive you'll enjoy the convenience of being located in close proximity to the Mosgiel town centre for business, shops, entertainment and other activities. At Bella Vista Motel Mosgiel we cater for all your business or recreational needs.
We are easy to find on Gordon Road just 10 minutes' drive north of Dunedin Airport and another 15 minutes' drive from Dunedin CBD.
The quiet location of the Mosgiel motel means you'll be able to enjoy reading your morning newspaper with no distractions.
We are a good stop before starting the Otago Central Rail Trail. You can pick up the Taieri Gorge train at the nearby Wingatui station to Middlemarch to start your adventure on the trail.
We have ample safe parking so you can leave your car, avoid parking issues, walk to work or explore.
Our superior smoke free Mosgiel accommodation include a variety of studios and one bedroom units. The purpose built access units have been designed with parking at the door for your convenience. You have a choice of king, queen or single beds with electric blankets for those cooler nights.
Unlimited free WIFI is available with a spacious work desk in every room. Units vary from just tea and toast making facilities to those with cooking facilities. We offer continental breakfasts and evening meal charge back facilities, dine in or dine out.
You can be assured of a warm welcome at reception at our friendly motel in Mosgiel where we will assist you in every way possible.
Contact us for more information on availability, rates and rooms at Bella Vista Motel Mosgiel.
Distances from Mosgiel Motel
|Dunedin Domestic & International Airport
|Shops & restaurants
|Dunedin City Centre
- At a glance
Office hours 7.30am to 7pm weekdays & 8am-7pm at weekends.
On-site parking Onsite parking free of charge. EV charger available for a small fee.
Available on request Interconnecting rooms, cot, high chair
Value adds Sky TV, Free unlimited WIFI, guest BBQ area
Email Email motel
Phone +64 3 484 7258
Compact Queen Studio
The Compact studio's provide a Queen bed an ensuite bathroom, tea/coffee and toast making facilities, microwave, refrigerator and electric blanket. This studio is ideal for a one night stay. Please note, this studio has no kitchen sink so the staff will wash any dishes for you. Your room rate includes Free WiFi and Sky TV
- 16 m2
The Twin/Triple studio features a vanity kitchenette, tea/coffee and toast making facilities, microwave, refrigerator and electric blanket. A comfortable sized room for 2 or 3 guests. Free WiFi is included in your room rate and Sky TV
- 20 m2
The Superior studio has either a King or Queen bed, an ensuite bathroom, kitchenette equipped with a refrigerator and microwave, iron & ironing board and electric blanket. Free WiFi is included in your room rate and SKY TV
- 20 m2
One Bedroom Spa Bath Studio
Our one bedroom studio's feature a Queen bed in the living room and two singles in a separate room. It includes a spa bath with shower, full cooking facilities in kitchen, equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, iron & ironing board and electric blankets. A roll-away bed can be made available for a fifth person. Free WiFi is included in your room rate and SKY TV
- 37 m2
- FREE WIFI
- Sky TV (Sky Sport 1 & 2, Sky Movies, Trackside)
- EFTPOS and all major credit cards accepted
- Guest laundry
Wheelchair access units
- Portable cots and highchairs available
- Radio alarm clocks
- Fax available
- Guest BBQ
- All units are non-smoking
Type 2 EV chargers. Please pre-book.
Outdoor activities and attractions abound in and around Mosgiel which include the internationally acclaimed Taieri Gorge Railway train trip (looked upon as one of the world's finest rail journeys). We also have the rail trail between Middlemarch and Clyde witch you can ride over 1 to 4 days. The Taieri river runs through the north end of the town (where you can take pleasure in jet-boating & fly-fishing and provides great open-water swimming in the summer heat). There is also a choice of golf courses within five minutes drive from the centre of Mosgiel which caters for all golfing types, whether it be professional, or beginner.
Mosgiel is the neighbouring township to the Dunedin International Airport and is often the choice of travellers when disembarking from an international flight. Mosgiel is recognised around the world as the home of Invermay, one of the country's largest agricultural research institutes.
In Dunedin, a NZ town with a district Scottish flavour, you can visit the famous Speights Brewery located in the city centre, go mountain-biking, walking and camping. Within the city boundaries are numerous noteworthy gardens, from the formally laid out annual colour displays of the Dunedin Railway Station gardens, to the delightful private gardens owned by local residents. Glenfalloch Woodland Garden and Restaurant is a 30 acre harbour side garden featuring rhododendrons, fuchsias, azaleas and magnolias. A famous feature at the Botanic Garden is the Rhododendron Dell, which is celebrated every year in the third week of October with the Rhododendron Festival.
On the Otago Peninsula close to Dunedin you will find New Zealand's only castle. The magnificent gardens and the road to Larnach Castle - located 15 minutes drive from Dunedin City, make it more than a worthwhile trip.
To sight a soaring Albatross is unforgettable - a spectacle you can experience for yourself at the Royal Albatross Centre. This one hour tour starts at the Centre, nestled at the foot of Taiaroa Head, at one with its environment. Your guide will begin by taking you through the bird's fascinating story. From the Centre, it's a short walk to the Observatory for the privilege of seeing for yourself the greatest of all seabirds (viewing varies during the year).
The Taieri Gorge Limited train is Dunedin's prestige tourist train operating from the historic Railway and takes passengers on a journey through the rugged scenery within Taieri River Gorge, across wrought iron viaducts and through tunnels. A full commentary is given and refreshments are available on board.
The New Zealand Marine Studies Centre in Otago is well worth a visit. Here you will discover unique and fascinating marine life of southern New Zealand. Unique marine eco-experiences cater for independent travellers, tour groups and families.
Introducing your hosts, Julie and Patsy
We are both New Zealand born and bred and have been locals and lived in the Mosgiel community for many years. We met at work in 1985 where we became great friends. We have worked together for 3 different organisations over the years and work exceptionally well as a team. We both have grown up children and were looking for the next challenge and phase of our working lives and when the opportunity to purchase a Mosgiel motel in the Bella Vista Group came up we jumped at it.
Between us, we have managed a Kindergarten, a Golf Club and an In Home Childcare business. We have strong skills in sales and marketing and pride ourselves on customer service as we love to interact and engage with our guests to ensure they have the very best possible experience while staying with us.
We are very proud of our town and the community we live and work in. Mosgiel is separated from the city of Dunedin by hills. It takes its name from Mossgiel in Ayrshire, the farm of poet Robbie Burns, who was the uncle of one of Dunedin’s founders. In February 1770 Captain Cook described the saddle-shaped hill which became known as Saddle Hill, the Land mark east of Mosgiel.
The history of Mosgiel is intertwined with the wool products industry. It is the home to one of New Zealand’s largest agricultural research institutes but it no longer has a woollen mill. As an important service town for the Taieri Plains farming community, Mosgiel also has a wide selection of retail and service businesses.
Maori Lengend says that a Taniwha who lost its master swam down the Silverstream and lay down on the site of Mosgiel. When Matamata the Taniwha died he became the seaboard hills which include Saddle Hill.
Our Community Involvement
- We donate $1 each day you choose not to have your room serviced to ‘Project Kereru’. Project Kereru is a voluntary community based Conservation Project that is changing the fate of sick and injured Kereru in Dunedin and surrounding areas. As far as we are aware, Project Kereru is the only one of its kind in the country. Many other facilities care for sick and injured birds in New Zealand also, but Project Kereru are the only ones dedicated to the kereru alone. For more information go to www.projectkereru.org.nz
- Work welcome work experience students from Taieri High School
- We donate old bedding, towels, curtains, carpet, appliances (in working order) e.g. hair dryers & fridges to the local support services and businesses – Salvation Army, Curtain Bank, Woman’s Refuge and our local vet.
- We are members of the Mosgiel Business Association, Otago Motel Association and Hospitality New Zealand.
- Any public laundry money generated is donated to Otago Community Hospice.
Our Sustainability Practices
We want to ensure that we operate in a manner that reduces environmental risk. We wish to do our bit to help protect Mosgiel and safeguard its natural beauty so that it is preserved for many generations to come.
We also want to ensure that your stay with us is memorable and to this end, we have developed an environmental plan and welcome your support with the following initiatives.
- We ask you to consider the following options to help reduce discharge of detergents and waste water:
- Hang your towels on the towel rail if you wish to reuse them or place your towels in the shower tray or bathtub if you wish them to be laundered.
- We use low energy light bulbs in our units and premises. We would appreciate your help by turning off lights and electrical appliances while not in use or when you are out of the room.
- We give you the opportunity to recycle your waste by asking you to leave any paper, plastics or glass bottles beside your rubbish bin and food scraps in the container provided. Please help us to reduce, reuse and recycle wherever possible.
- We are reducing the amount of waste going to the land fill by separating it for recycling, using decomposable bin liners, a Worm Farm for food scraps and a compost bin for garden waste.
- We have installed ‘water saver’ devices in taps and shower heads to reduce water volume without compromising on quality. We purchase goods locally wherever possible, which helps to reduce the carbon emissions from transportation of goods. We aim to carefully select suppliers that have a ‘recognised green accreditation’ and provide biodegradable/decomposbale products and packaging wherever possible.
- We use ‘white vinegar’ which is a chemical free and natural cleaner.
- We proudly support local community groups by donating goods and promoting their products.
- We support and train our staff to commit to our environmental practices.
Our overall aim is as a business we are determined to ensure New Zealand’s clean green image remains intact for the future generations.
We look forward to hosting you.
Situated just 12 kilometres south-west of Dunedin you will find Mosgiel, divided from Dunedin city by rough hills, which form part of the crater wall of a long-extinct volcano and just off the southern motorway, via Saddle Hill. Mosgiel is a haven for those seeking the quietness of the country life with a rural aspect while still being close to the city of Dunedin for work and pleasure.
Travel distances in kilometres to Mosgiel
- Ashburton 288 kms
- Blenheim 679 kms
- Christchurch 376 kms
- Dunedin 15 kms
- Fox Glacier 518 kms
- Franz Josef Glacier 542 kms
- Greymouth 559 kms
- Hanmer Springs 503 kms
- Hokitika 564 kms
- Invercargill 194 kms
- Kaikoura 550 kms
- Nelson 784 kms
- Oamaru 128 kms
- Queenstown 272 kms
- Te Anau 279 kms
- Wanaka 263 kms
- Westport 659 kms