Bella Vista's Blog
Check-in on our New Zealand travel blog for latest news, events and updates - along with a splash of personality from the whole team at Bella Vista!
A Weekend in Wellington. The Ultimate Destination.
Posted by Bella Vista on
While discussing recently with a friend the joy that is the weekend escape – what it does for the soul, relationships/friendships and not to mention our appreciation of NZ - we started throwing around destinations for ‘our ultimate weekend get away’. Whilst we are spoilt for choice on locations in our beautiful country, we came to the conclusion that it’s hard to go past the best little capital, Wellington.
Whether it’s for the arts, restaurant culture, The Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa or one of the many events that Wellington hosts, the capital city ticks all the boxes!
Wellington is easy to explore by vehicle or foot, set around the picturesque Wellington Waterfront, all you need for a great stay is within close proximity. The vibrant feel to this city is obvious as soon as you head out for a stroll, with its sophistication, quirky corners and cosmopolitan mix of cafes, restaurants, bars. Wellington very rarely disappoints.
Wellington offers something for everyone; with so many highlights the weekend is often not long enough. Here’s a list of what we thought were some of the must sees!
- The Beehive & Parliament Buildings – NZ’s Parliament buildings.
- Te Papa – Museum of New Zealand.
- Wellington Cable Car – A fun trip onboard a cable car running between Lambton Quay (the main shopping street) and Kelburn.
- Wellington Waterfront – The heart of Wellington City. Beautiful to stroll and watch the world go by.
- Weta Studios – Your tour of filmmaking in Wellington over the last 20 years. From Middle-earth and beyond – check out their talent!
- Old St Paul’s – A gorgeous wooden cathedral built in 1865 – a holy and welcoming building in the heart of Wellington City.
Looking for something a bit different:
- Wrights Hill Fortress – A surreal network of underground tunnels, operation rooms and three gun emplacements.
- Old Bank Arcade Animated Musical Clock – Housed in a historic shopping center (that used to be an old bank headquarters) the centerpiece is an animated mechanical musical clock that opens each hour to reveal scenes of Wellington harbor’s past and present.
- Wellington Writers Walk - combining a walk along Wellington’s waterfront with thought provoking quotations from some of New Zealand’s best-known writers.
- Zelandia Sanctuary – The world’s first fully-fenced urban ecosanctuary, a groundbreaking conservation project that has reintroduced 18 species of native wildlife back into the area, 6 of which were previously absent from mainland New Zealand for over 100 years.
- Walk to Red Rocks (Seal Colony) - An easy half day coastal walk to Red Rocks and a fur seal colony on the south side of Wellington.
- Kapiti Island Nature Tours – A bird sanctuary and one of New Zealand’s most accessible nature reserves. A truly unique visitor accessed by approved tour operators only.
Accommodation in Wellington:
Finding Wellington accommodation can sometimes be a challenging prospect, with many accommodation styles and levels available. While many people opt to stay in the hustle and bustle of the central city, choosing a Wellington motel is a fantastic option as it provides a quieter location with a bit more space to relax.
The Bella Vista Wellington is a great spot for your next Wellington escape, in beautiful Evans Bay only minutes by car to everything you need: Wellington Airport, Wellington Waterfront, Te Papa, Ferry Terminal and Westpac Stadium. Plus it has ample safe parking, avoiding those parking issues of Wellington central city.
Give us a call at Bella Vista Motel Wellington and Richard and Christine will be happy to discuss your Wellington accommodation needs.
- A Good Read!
- Events & Activities
- Bella Vista Top 10
- Bella Vista News
- Bella Vista Ashburton
- Bella Vista Blenheim
- Bella Vista Christchurch
- Bella Vista Dunedin
- Bella Vista Fox Glacier
- Bella Vista Franz Josef Glacier
- Bella Vista Gisborne
- Bella Vista Greymouth
- Bella Vista Hamilton
- Bella Vista Hanmer Springs
- Bella Vista Hokitika
- Bella Vista Invercargill
- Bella Vista Kaikoura
- Bella Vista Mosgiel
- Bella Vista Napier
- Bella Vista Nelson
- Bella Vista New Plymouth
- Bella Vista Oamaru
- Bella Vista Palmerston North
- Bella Vista Queenstown
- Bella Vista Rotorua
- Bella Vista Taupo
- Bella Vista Te Anau
- Bella Vista Wanaka
- Bella Vista Wellington
- Bella Vista Westport
- Bella Vista Whangarei