Bella Vista's Blog
Check-in on our New Zealand travel blog for latest news, events and updates - along with a splash of personality from the whole team at Bella Vista!
South Island Top 10 Things To Do
Posted by Bella Vista on
In the first of a new regular series, the team at Bella Vista have decided to share ten of their favourite things, from local eateries to adventure activities. These updates will give you an idea of some great things to do right around New Zealand, both the top tourist attractions and few ideas which are a little more off the beaten track.
My Top 10 New Zealand Sites and Activities by Natalie Evans
Natalie is Director of Bella Vista Management and lives in Oamaru, in New Zealand's South Island.
- Blue cod and kumara chips from Coast, Kakanui North Otago - speaks for itself plus awesome view to boot.
- Picnic at Elephant rocks, Duntroon, North Otago - picturesque and provides a challenging climbing experience!
- Nosh Cafe on State Highway One, Waimate - their food display is a feast for the eyes.
- Stroll from Friendly Bay around the harbour, Oamaru. Easy, picturesque and adjacent to the Steampunk playground which is a playground of old providing ages 6 plus with challenges. (Also not far from Bella Vista Oamaru!)
- Walk from St Kilda Beach to St Clair, Dunedin - coffee and cake, brunch or lunch at any one of the fabulous cafes and walk back along the seaside track and over the playing fields ending up at St Kilda playground - another must for those with families.
- Riverstone Cafe, just north of Oamaru. Home grown produce, terrific menu, gardens, castle, shops and playground. Just perfect.
- Bill Blair, Coppice Crafts Oamaru working from a red shed at the end of the harbour railway line at the Harbour Oamaru. Watch Bill in action making his crafts. Take home a very well built trug complete with copper nails to use to collect your fresh produce from your garden.
- Turn right at Otematata and view Lake Benmore Dam. The largest earth dam in the Southern Hemisphere. Whilst there walk from the top of the dam on the circular walk where on a good day you will view Mt Cook in all its glory and the full length of Lake Benmore - a truly magnificent sight and great walk.
- Visit The Vines Restaurant in Waimate. Friendly hosts and a view over Waimate. Stroll around Waimate for a town streetscape straight out of a bygone era.
- Finally, my recent find - Kaiteriteri Beach, Nelson. A ride on the Marahau/Abel Tasman water taxis is a must. Make sure you land at Marahau so that you can experience riding on the boat trailers direct from the beach being pulled by tractors. Walk all or part of the Abel Tasman. It's a gem because you can walk it and return daily to civilisation via water taxi if that's your preference. Nature and clean sheets - bliss (check out Bella Vista Nelson for just that!).
- A Good Read!
- Events & Activities
- Bella Vista Top 10
- Bella Vista News
- Bella Vista Ashburton
- Bella Vista Blenheim
- Bella Vista Christchurch
- Bella Vista Dunedin
- Bella Vista Fox Glacier
- Bella Vista Franz Josef Glacier
- Bella Vista Gisborne
- Bella Vista Greymouth
- Bella Vista Hamilton
- Bella Vista Hanmer Springs
- Bella Vista Hokitika
- Bella Vista Invercargill
- Bella Vista Kaikoura
- Bella Vista Mosgiel
- Bella Vista Napier
- Bella Vista Nelson
- Bella Vista New Plymouth
- Bella Vista Oamaru
- Bella Vista Palmerston North
- Bella Vista Queenstown
- Bella Vista Rotorua
- Bella Vista Taupo
- Bella Vista Te Anau
- Bella Vista Wanaka
- Bella Vista Wellington
- Bella Vista Westport
- Bella Vista Whangarei